Saturday, August 15, 2009

It's a Bird... It's a Plane...

It's a meteor! Chris, Ally, and I drove east about half-way to Julian to view the meteor shower this week. We left our house about 10 p.m. Tuesday and parked on some deserted road that lead to a campground off Highway 79 near the Cuyamaca campgrounds. The only person to venture by was a park ranger who asked if we were watching the meteor shower. Umm... it's midnight, we're sitting in reclining lawn chairs, with blankets and pillows, staring up at the sky... what did she think we were doing? I guess you never know...

Well, the coolest thing was that Chris thought to bring his night vision goggles that he uses at work. At first we didn't want to use them, because you couldn't see the whole sky... but later after we tried them, we were fighting over them, because you could see so many meteors. It was lit up almost like daylight, but with a green tint to everything. We could see the mountains and fields as clear as day. In fact, I was paranoid to look too close, I was afraid I would see a mountain lion or something. If I would have seen a squirrel, I probably would have screamed my head off. We were out until 2 a.m. at which time Ally was half frozen and I had to go to the bathroom and work the next day. We will definitely do that again when it comes around.

Ally and I played beach volleyball in Coronado this week with our friends from Lemon Grove. Had a great time and plan to do it again this Thursday evening. It was hard to play in the sand, and we could have used a few more players. It was really nice out and we went wading in the ocean after playing. The water was pretty warm.


I overdid the late nights because Friday I woke up with a bad sore throat and cold. Today I still feel pretty lousy, hopefully tomorrow I'll do better. I lost a few more pounds this week and got to the gym a few times before I got sick. Ally's back to her Cross Country practices and is getting in good shape with all the running.

Amy and I had our cell phones replaced this week. Amy after dropping hers in the toilet at Burger King and mine because the vibrate mode has never worked on it, and I wanted to get that fixed while it was still under warranty. Had quite an escapade getting mine up and running. After activating and getting ready to ship my old one back, I accidentally wiped out all the info on my new phone and reset/deactivated it instead of the old one. Took over an hour on the phone with Verizon to get it all straightened out.

Tomorrow is church, and I usher in the first service. This week I am making some candy for an event... word is spreading and even though I said at first I didn't want to make candy as a business... now I am having second thoughts... we'll see!




1 comment:

  1. Meteor showers are quite a sight. Definitely worth staying up for, even on a weeknight!

    ReplyDelete