Sunday, October 11, 2009

Autumn's in the Air

The hot days are over, although we still have 80 degrees once in awhile, it has cooled off significantly -- and although we don't have any leaves turning (palm trees don't exactly lose their leaves), I can tell by the decrease in my gas and electric bill by almost $300.00 -- woo hoo! I do miss the leaves turning, although we can travel a little and still see some, it's not the same as the midwest with colorful trees as far as you can see.

Speaking of traveling, Chris and I are finally getting away for a weekend by ourselves. I can't remember the last time we got away, just the two of us... a year, two? We are going to Catalina Island -- got a weekend package that includes the boat ride, and unlimited tours. VERY EXCITED... we will go in a couple weeks.

Ally finally got back into racing. Can tell she's had time off, but she did hold off a girl trying to pass her at the very end. The race was almost three miles and they both got the exact finishing time, but Ally was ahead. I tried to tell her as she passed me near the finish line that there was a girl coming up on her... but it wasn't until she saw her shadow and heard her breathing right at the end that she pushed super hard. She gets so mad when someone passes her right at the end... I guess that's good motivation. The race was up near Julian and there are lots of trees like the one in pic that were affected by recent fires.

I won a "basket" from the Lakeside Farmer's Market. But they wouldn't let me have the basket, just the stuff in it. It was strange... a lot of weird stuff donated by the vendors, like their stuff that is less likely to sell, or their leftovers. I didn't get any of the good tamales, beef jerkey, or honey I always buy over there. I got limes, peppers, tomatoes, a bag of tortilla chips (but none of the gourmet hummus he sells). But I did get a few good things... a canteloupe, jalapeno bread, a dozen eggs, two jars of fruit topping, and a coupon for a free BBQ meal from the market. It was free -- so I'll take it.

Had a weekend of making candy. Ally and her friend Amanda made the chocolate suckers, and I wasn't even home. She is learning! I made hard tack candy (pineapple) and the hard tack suckers (yellow) are part of that. Also made some white chocolate rice crunch ghosts and pumpkins. And tried cheesecake caramel apples. Took me three tries on those... but oh so good when I finally got it right. Tried whipped cream cheese and marshmallow cream for a layer first, but that was too soft. Tried melted white chocolate and cream cheese next, but that didn't blend well and wouldn't stick. Finally tried just melted white chocolate over the caramel, then roll in graham cracker crumbs and that was perfect!








Looking forward to fall and the holiday season!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment