Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Reason for the Season


We are preparing to head to church Christmas Eve service soon... wanted to post once more before the big day -- who knows how busy we'll be the next few days. Tonight we read the Nativity story from Luke 2 and then "'Twas the Night Before Christmas." We open one gift each on Christmas Eve and the rest in the morning. Ally usually has us sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. A small reminder of the true meaning of Christmas. How awesome that a Savior was sent into the world just for us! And what a shame not to recognize that fact!

The girls got robes to open Christmas Eve.

Saw this truck at church last weekend... so cute!

I worked today finishing up payroll, paying bills, backing up the computer and so on, and I won't be back until next year... I can hear the angels singing Alleluia now! Then I met Amy over at Parkway Plaza at the new Bob's Big Boy that just opened. The mall traffic was bad, but I've seen worse. I grabbed the first parking space I saw! It's been a little hectic the last few days, I actually ran a load of laundry and forgot to put the clothes in... ha! Shopping is finished, the last two packages we were expecting arrived yesterday, wrapping is finished... now Santa just needs to come.

Oh and my Bible will not be here in time for Christmas. Family Bible Bookstore forgot to order it, then a storm delay, then realized they had it the entire time but was engraved with the wrong name, then realized it had thumb indents in it and mine wasn't supposed to... anyway, it's being re-ordered and I am asking for half off.

My candy thermometer broke -- at least I had made several batches of toffee lately so I knew what toffee looks like just after it reaches hard crack temperature, so I did okay. Did not know not to eat it if you have crowns... later my tooth started bothering me and my friend told me I should not be eating it. It's actually okay if the toffee is crunchy, but I undercooked one batch slighty and it was really chewy after the crunch... a big no, no. Gave candy away left and right from my work neighbors, to the Starbucks workers, to the mail man. God Bless Us, Everyone! I tried snickers bars for the first time, they turned out really good, or so I heard... I'm not a big fan. Made white rice crunch candies, some were tree shaped with peppermint crunchies, several batches of toffee, caramel peanut clusters, peanut butter filled cups and bon-bons, and chocolate covered pretzels. We have been getting candy and food for gifts too, and I think I gained five pounds this week.

We're off to Sedona early Saturday morning as long as there is not ice in the mountains... if there is, we'll leave a little later after it melts. Chris is off work on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve... that hasn't happened in 10 years! He always works at least Christmas or New Year's.

Happy Holidays!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment