Tuesday, December 08, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas...

Well, all the Christmas decorations, including the tree, are now up -- and not without some drama. We have a pre-lit tree, mainly due to the cats trying to eat the real trees, and one section would not light. Ally and I spent a couple hours checking every fuse and every bulb in those sections and could not fix anything. I ended up running to the store at the last minute and buying one string of white lights for $3 to fill in those branches... fortunately I found the hardware store two blocks from our house was open as I was driving by and was able to get the lights there.


I have some ornaments from when I was a kid. One special one is a letter I wrote to Santa that was published in the paper when I was nine years old. My dad cut it out and put it in a clear glass bulb for me. I asked for a barbie camper, a maxi dress, and go-go boots. HA! I'm pretty sure I got them all. That's a long way from the cameras, ipods, and laptops the kids are asking for these days!

I dropped one orament at the fireplace and it busted into a zillion pieces. It was only a filler ornament for my hurricane lamp (see pic below). I saw this idea for my lamp last year in a magazine, so I bought the bulbs and ribbon for a couple bucks after Christmas last year.


I collect glass candy, and I put it out at Christmas each year. I also have about eight glass candy ornaments that hang from the fireplace. Tigger is very happy we have fired up the fireplace!



Santa ordered my Christmas present at the Family Bible Bookstore so I would get exactly what I wanted. He ordered the Zondervan Study Bible in New American Standard version, in quality burgundy leather. Thanks, Santa! Santa also had a coupon and gift cards, so the cost was cut WAY down:) So thrifty! I also saw a coffee cup ornament into Starbucks that was so cute... I'm a pretty easy person to buy gifts for... candles and Starbucks and I'm happy.

We had a big storm blow through here, and another is on the way for Thursday. It rained and blew SO MUCH! We broke the record for rainfall for yesterday in San Diego. One and three-fourths inch. That's a lot for us. Floods and branches everywhere. And, of course, this is the one day my boss asks me to run some primer over to some workers on the base in Coronado. I saw three accidents, and I skidded twice on the road on the way there. Then on the way home from work, I decided not to take the freeway and as I'm going straight instead, the car I would have been had I gotten in the freeway line got rear-ended really hard. SOMEONE was watching over me. Always listen to that Still Small Voice!

I love California... how is possible that "hypotehtically" two employees get in a fist fight, one breaks his hand, and workman's comp pays for everything, including surgery. That is MESSED UP, hypothetically speaking of course.

I made these fancy chocolates for our Pastor who returned from duty in Kosovo last week. I used Chris' label maker to label the types (green/peanut butter etc.) inside the lid -- fun. Also made some white chocolate covered pretzels with peppermint crunch... didn't sound that good to me -- but they were!



Here's a pic I finally got of the medal Ally won at the race I missed this year. She's with her friend Amanda on one side and the boy she likes, Jack, on the other.


Lost internet access again at work. Curse AT&T and all routers and modems. Got fed up for the last time and called Cox Communications. They are coming tomorrow to hook-up internet and cable in my office. I get to have a TV in my office. Ah, love my job and my boss and the perks!

Yesterday was the four year anniversary of the death of my best friend who died unexpectedly from a stroke. Can't believe it's been four years! I miss the gab sessions and the movies! I'll see you again "P"!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment